Thursday, April 30, 2015

Evil Cake

I'll admit, I love to eat, but I'm enjoying cooking more.  And because I'm OCD about cooking, the people around me reap the rewards, keeping me from devouring all of that crap myself.

Seriously.  A few years ago, I decided I had to make the perfect pecan pie.  I make about 8 of them in one week.  I didn't share.

But now that I have more confidence in my cooking, I share more, and my friends really love it.  Which brings me to Mother's Day and how I'm preparing to make my mother a special cake.  I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing for her, but the techniques themselves need practice.

I'm terrible with frosting.  I've only recently learned how to make a decent butter cream frosting.  Now I need to work on my application of said frosting to the cake.

And then a diabolical idea hit me--what if I made a ghost pepper butter cream frosting and put that on a cake?

Sure, it's a fucked up idea, but it could be more awesome than a pack of ninja wolves that play in a heavy metal band at night and then fight crime later in the night after the show.

I used my ghost pepper jam for this endeavor and two yellow cakes.



As I said above, my frosting skills need work.  Don't judge me.

Well, okay, judge me, but be nice about it.




When I cook, I cook for keeps.  And those red flakes in the frosting?  That's ghost pepper joy, my friend.

The recipe I used was simple:  

2 sticks of room temp butter
1 package of cream cheese, also room temperature.
1 cup of ghost pepper jam
7 cups of powdered sugar

Whip the butter, cream cheese and jam together until smooth and then add the powdered sugar one cup at a time.  

Next, stand back and watch your awesomeness double.

Finally, prepare to be an evil genius in the eyes of your friends.  Or at least the ones that count.  

Here's the deal about the heat--it starts off really sweet and just as you start to relax because it's not that bad it attacks you and builds until you want to cry.  Yeah, it's like that.

I gave the left-over frosting to a guy we call Twitchy because...well, he's twitchy.  I suggested to him to dip Nilla Wafers into it.  He loves me a lot now and I'm thinking he's getting ready to propose or something.  It's awkward.

As for the friend I made the cake for?  He loved it and it's not a birthday cake he'll forget any time soon.

I guess the moral of the story is:  Be awesome and burn your friends from the inside out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment